Counselling for Families and children
We offer supportive counselling for families around gender and sexuality. Our trained counsellors have lived experience with gender and identify as 2SLGBTQIA+. Counselling services are offered free of charge. To book a counselling session please contact us at email@example.com
1. Positive Space Training
- A Positive Space is a welcoming and inclusive environment for everyone including members of the Two-Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning, intersex, and asexual (2SLGBTQIA+) community. Training is provided to volunteers who become champions of workplace inclusion, enabling them to offer support, raise awareness, and wear and post identifiers to designate both themselves and their work spaces as safe. A Positive Space increases the satisfaction of 2SLGBTQIA+ employees while small—but meaningful—changes in workplace culture benefit everyone. Presented by Sean Cullen and Jessica Cairns of Rainbow Mentors.
2. Introduction to 2SLGBTQIA+ Emotional and Mental Health
- Canadian studies show that 2SLGBTQIA+ people report higher rates of mood and anxiety disorders, poorer self-perceived mental health status, and higher rates of lifetime suicidality relative to their heterosexual peers. Furthermore, there is evidence to show that substance use may be higher in 2SLGBTQIA+ communities, and that patterns of use are different. This workshop explores how social stigma, shame and discrimination can affect 2SLGBTQIA+ people’s mental and emotional health, including how external negative situations become internalized and how unhealthy coping strategies can develop. Participants will also learn about practical and psychological supports that can protect the individual and promote resilience. Presentation includes didactic, interactive exercises, videos and case studies will provide participants with evidence-based learning, new strategies and skills. This workshop is for health and social service professionals; it is not focused on psychotherapy practice. Presented by Sean Cullen and Jessica Cairns of Rainbow Mentors.
3. Introduction to Gender Diversity Training
- For all members of health or social service organizations, this session is an introductory cultural humility module for all members of health and social service agencies, focused on gender diversity. This session is delivered in partnership with community facilitators. Learning objectives include: Language, terminology, definitions, history, intersectionality, and social context; social determinants of health for trans and gender-diverse communities; understanding transphobia in the context of other systems (patriarchy, racism, colonization) that influence health care and health care access; recognizing and addressing barriers to care; and providing a welcoming and respectful environment for gender-diverse clients. Presented by Sean Cullen and Jessica Cairns of Rainbow Mentors.
4. Removing the Barriers: Making your Organization 2SLGBTQIA+ Positive
- The workshop uses an anti-oppression/anti-racism framework to examine the process of developing organizational sensitivity and responsiveness to diverse 2SLGBTQIA+ communities. The session addresses creating a positive and welcoming work environment for both 2SLGBTQIA+ staff and clients. The interactive workshop will explore various strategies such as specific programs, HR policies, community consultation and 2SLGBTQIA+ representation in organizations. The workshop will address steps at board level, management, front-line to volunteer to provide and deliver equitable services and access for 2SLGBTQIA+ communities. (This session Removing the Barriers is a mini audit of mission, vision, all programs, services, intake forms, all policies, signage, webpage, online contents, online images, hard copies of brochures, washroom access, etc. This session is usually most effective for organizations after attending the training Introduction to 2SLGBTQIA+ and Health Needs). Presented by Sean Cullen and Jessica Cairns of Rainbow Mentors.
5. Supporting Gender Independent Children and Trans-Youth
- This session is directed at mental health providers and students working in children’s mental health settings, as well as others in advocacy roles. Topics covered include the needs of gender independent and trans children, youth, and their families; supporting families through change, safety, advocacy, and choices around interventions; effective and affirming strategies for supporting children and youth, in diverse settings (mental health, recreation, primary care, etc); evidence-based and informed practices; and information about medical and non-medical interventions. Presented by Sean Cullen and Jessica Cairns of Rainbow Mentors.